Tuesday, December 20, 2005

 

Top Ten Tuesday - Christmas songs

As we get closer and closer to Christmas I thought it would be fitting to make this week's edition of Top Ten Tuesday a festive occasion! Right now radio stations across the country are filling the airwaves with the usual Christmas songs. Some are them are great, while some are so bad you wouldn't mind banning them altogether in the style of the Iranian President.

Today I'm going to focus on the great songs. So with that in mind, I give you the top ten Christmas songs...

1. The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl, Fairytale of New York - This is the best Christmas song of all time in my opinion. Shane McGowan and Kirsty MacColl complement each other very well and you have to love the famous line, "you scumbag you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot".

2. Slade, Merry Xmas Everybody- This is one of the great Christmas songs and is guaranteed to be heard around Christmas time. I don't know anyone who dislikes this song. I think it's great.

3. John Lennon, Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - This is one of my favourite John Lennon songs. I love the intro to this song with the simple guitar melody and Lennon's great vocals before entering into the rousing chorus.

4. Wizzard, I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday - I like this song because it's so damn catchy! Not sure about the video though!

5. Band Aid, Do They Know It's Christmas? - Last year some mediocre pop stars did their best to massacre this song but I still have fond memories of the original song.

6. Shakin' Stevens, Merry Christmas Everyone - OK some people hate his song and I agree it's cheesy but come on, it's so synonymous with Christmas!

7. Bing Crosby, White Christmas - The old classic! I can recall this song getting played alot around my house at Christmas time when I was a young boy.

8. Mariah Carey, All I Want For Christmas Is You - I'm not a big fan of Mariah by any means but like Shakin Stevens, it's an appropriate tune for Christmas.

9. Aled Jones, Walking In The Air - If you're Irish, you'll know that hearing this song on RTE each year is pretty much the signal that Christmas is here! I think it's used by An Post, the postal service, and it's a very nice song.

10. Cliff Richard, Mistletoe and Wine - Now we're in the dregs! I'm not crazy about this song but it's definitely a Christmassy tune.

So there you have it. Feel free to comment on my choices or to offer up some of your own. On another note, it seems our friends across the pond in North America wouldn't be aware of many of the songs listed above. You don't know what you're missing!

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.