Thursday, June 23, 2005

 

Thursday Thoughts:Oath of Allegiance

Following on from my previous post, isn't it about time the archaic Oath of Allegiance to the Queen was dropped? I think it's wrong in this day and age to force MPs to swear allegiance to a monarch in order to take their seats.

Government is supposed to be of the people, by the people, for the people as Abraham Lincoln once said. The Queen has nothing to do with the people who elected the Sinn Fein MPs.

I think it is about time the British called on the Oath of Allegiance to be scrapped altogether. I feel its continued presence is harmful to Irish nationalism and I think it would be great if Sinn Fein MPs took their seats at Westminster.

I know that de Valera and Fianna Fail TDs, in order to enter politics in the Irish Free State, got around the problem of the Oath of Allegiance by signing it rather than swearing it. Is this an option allowed at present for taking up seats at Westminster?

It's time that us nationalists addressed this age-old problem of the Oath of Allegiance.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

© 2008 United Irelander.